The United Arab Emirates, on 30 January 2021, has approved amendments to the Executive Regulation of the Federal Law in respect of citizenship allowing investors, professionals, special talents and their families to acquire UAE Passport and Emirati Nationality.
Eligible categories as per the amendments are:
Investors, Doctors, Specialists, Inventors, Scientists, Talents, Intellectuals, Artists and their families (spouse and children), alongside retaining their current nationality
Conditions for granting citizenship under the directive of President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Cabinet chaired by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, approved the amendments of the Executive Regulation of the Federal Law concerning Nationality and Passports.
Obtaining the Emirati citizenship will be done through nominations from Rulers and Crown Prince’s Courts, Executive Councils, and the Cabinet based on federal entities nominations.
As per the amendments, the conditions to be met for each of the following categories are:
- Investors– required to own a UAE based property.
- Scientists are required to be an active researcher in a university or research Centre or in the private sector, with a practical experience of not less than 10 years in the same field. They also should have contributions in the scientific field such as winning a prestigious scientific award, or securing substantial funding for their research during the past ten years, it is also mandatory to obtain a recommendation letter from recognized scientific institutions in the UAE.
- Doctors and specialists must be specialized in a unique scientific discipline or any other scientific principles that are highly required in the UAE, the applicant must have acknowledged scientific contributions, studies and research of scientific value and must have a practical experience of not less than 10 years, in addition to obtaining membership in a reputable organization in his field of specialization.
- Inventors who are willing to acquire Emirati citizenship are required to obtain one or more patents that are approved by the UAE Ministry of Economy or any other reputable international body, in addition to a recommendation letter from the Economy Ministry.
- Artists and Intellectuals should be pioneers in the culture and art fields and winners of one or more international award. A recommendation letter from related government entities is mandatory as well.
After qualifying, other requirements prior to acquiring the citizenship include swearing the oath of allegiance, committing to abide by the Emirati laws and officially informing the respective government agency in case of acquiring or losing any other citizenship are mandated.
Along with UAE citizenship comes a wide range of benefits including the right to establish or own commercial properties and entities, in addition to any other benefits granted by federal authorities after the approval of the Cabinet or local authorities.
Adhering to amendments, citizenship can be withdrawn upon breach of the conditions.
Please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and initiate the process to obtain the citizenship.